Pages

Thursday, November 3, 2011

My Fight with Dengue

It started on 7th of October . I was living at Batla House in New Delhi those days.  That night I had fever and a little headache. Next morning I consulted a doctor and he told me that I have some kind of viral fever and it will take 3-4 days to recover completely. It continued for next three days and fourth day I was admitted in the Holy Family Hospital’s Emergency ward. Life becomes really difficult when you are living away from family with friends and u get ill. U cannot eat the restaurant food. Those three days I survived on fruits and packed food- biscuits, chips, cakes etc. My friends Fahad , Santosh and Farrukh  took great care of me and even got me admitted in the hospital when I vomited three times.

That day I got admitted in a hospital first time in my life. Once I reached the hospital I automatically started feeling better. I wonder if that was the affect of fresh morning air I breathed or those Jamia girls in hurry for their classes :) . Initially I was a little excited to be admitted in a hospital first time. I was comfortable till the first few injections but all my excitement got over once a tube was put in my stomach for the purpose of cleaning it. The tube was inserted through my nose and 2/3 of it was inside me.

Later I was shifted to ICU(Intensive Care Unit). I believe ICU is a place where most critically ill patients are kept. So once I was transferred there I started feeling that there is something extremely wrong with me. Although I was not feeling any pain however I had fever and was getting irritated with that tube. That tube wasn't allowing me to speak, drink or look around comfortably. For two days I neither drank nor ate anything. I was surviving only on glucose that was being injected in my body continuously. There, my blood was tested and I was diagnosed with Dengue.
   

I used to think that patients take complete rest in ICU and no one disturbs them but I was wrong. There every 40 minutes a nurse came and did something. From time to time they checked my temperature and blood pressure, performed cleaning, injected something, asked questions, done ECG etc. I felt they are trying to prove that they are taking care of me. Once that tube was removed, I enjoyed the company of those special purpose computers but their beeps were annoying. Those machines collectively produced such a sound which resembled my phone’s ringtone. Many times I woke up feeling that my phone is ringing. I got bored because nobody was allowed to meet me. I asked one of the nurses there to give me something to read. She gave me a heavy medical book which was interesting. But I could not concentrate on that for too long and later preferred sleeping. My platelets count kept decreasing. It came down to 150,000 from 250,000 the previous day.

   Later my parents got me discharged from there and took me to some other hospital where doctors did not even admitted me and just asked to take some medicine and lot of liquid. By that time my platelets count had reached 50,000. One doctor even told me that admitting me to ICU and some other tests were unnecessary. There I learnt that some private hospitals may conduct few unnecessary tests for making money. I drank lot of liquid and started recovering. Within three days my platelets count became normal.

Dengue is such a disease in which patient don’t feel much. I just had little fever and no pain or anything. Now I realize how dangerous one single mosquito is.

No comments:

Post a Comment